Overwhored is a free mind control and humor themed RPGMaker game that's just released a major overhaul of all its maps.
Sadly, this overhaul is not an improvement. The new maps are very pretty, but they are way too big. I get lost in my own tower continually. After spending literally 15 minutes searching a city full of locked buildings for someone, I gave up and closed the game. SMALLER MAPS ARE BETTER in RPG maker. Decide all the features you want, then make the smallest map that includes them.
I'm going to review version 0.3 - the one with the old maps - because IMO it was a better game.
- Humor! The house full of spiders made me actually laugh out loud. The batgirl and dark elf mage have some really great lines. The game is worth playing for this aspect alone.
- Dealing with Mind Control in a sensible way. It's not my fetish, and in general I find it a little worrisome when people like it, but Overwhored neither squicked me nor made me nervous. Playing an explicit villain does wonders for that - no one is pretending that what you do isn't evil.
- Let me repeat how funny the elven mage is. And the batgirl.
- RPGMaker is ugly and boring. Combat is tedious and repetitive.
- In version 0.4, I spent more time wandering around getting lost than actually playing the game. Actually lost, not just "unsure which path to take." I've never had that happen in a sprite game before. This issue does not apply to 0.3
- I'm not a fan of the image style. It feels either... "still learning to draw." The art from 0.3 was ok. I don't at all like the new images I saw in 0.4. As with Harem however, different people like different things.
- The sex writing is not my favorite either. Way too much "oooh, ooh, ohhhh, stick your cock in my pussy! Give me your cum, maaaaaaaster!"
So... quick, download version 0.3, if you enjoy or don't hate RPG maker combat. I'd give version 0.4 (for public release Monday) a miss.